Exports of Shotguns to Canada

I'm a U.S. citizen taking a shotgun and shells into Canada for recreation. Do I need a license?

License Exception BAG authorizes a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident alien leaving the U.S. to export or reexport shotguns with a barrel length 18 inches or over and shotgun shells provided no more than three shotguns are taken on any one trip; the shotguns and shotgun shells must be with the person's baggage (may not be mailed) and they must be for the person's exclusive legitimate use. See section 740.14(e) of the EAR for specific requirements in the use of BAG.

If I’m a non-U.S. citizen returning from the U.S. to Canada with my shotguns and shotgun shells, do I need an export license?

License Exception BAG allows a nonresident alien leaving the U.S. to export or reexport shotguns and shotgun shells he or she has brought into the United States under the provisions of the Department of Justice Regulations. See section 740.14(e) of the EAR for specific requirements in the use of BAG.

Do I need a license if I’m taking a shotgun and shotgun shells I purchased in the United States back to Canada?

Yes, a license is required to export to Canada shotguns and related firearms purchased in the United States.

Can I apply for an export license if I’m not a U.S. citizen?

Yes, however any applicant, whether a U.S. citizen or not, must be in the United States at the time a license application is submitted to BIS.

How do I get the International Import Certificate from Canada to support an export license application of shotguns?

Contact the following:

Export and Import Controls Bureau

Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade

125 Sussex Drive

Ottawa, Ontario K1A0 G2

ATTN: EICS Help Desk

at 1-877-808-8838

E-Mail: [email protected]


Are there any other requirements for importing shotguns and related firearms under Commerce jurisdiction from Canada to the United States?

Please consult with the proper authorities when exporting such items from Canada and importing them into the United States to determine requirements. For example, prior to importing firearms into the United States, you should contact the U.S. Department of Justice's Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms regarding import permits at . You should also contact Canada's Export and Import Permits Bureau regarding export permits at 613-996-2387 or go to


Canadian Firearms Centre

284 Wellington Centre, Ottawa, ON


Phone: 1-800-731-4000

E-Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
© BIS 2020