Hong Kong is not a member of the Australia Group, Missile Technology Control Regime, Nuclear Suppliers Group, or Wassenaar Arrangement, but maintains a control list based on these regime guidelines. The legal basis of Strategic Commodities Licensing Controls in Hong Kong is the Import and Export (Strategic Commodities) Regulations, made under the Import and Export Ordinance. Hong Kong publishes a list of strategic commodities as Schedule 1 of the Strategic Commodities Regulations. The list is divided into a Munitions List and a Dual-Use Goods List. The strategic trade control system in Hong Kong is made up of a licensing system administered by the Trade and Industry Department and an enforcement system under the purview of the Customs and Excise Department

According to the Import and Export Ordinance (Cap. 60) and the Import and Export (Strategic Commodities) Regulations (Cap. 60 sub. leg. G), import, export and transhipment of strategic commodities are subject to licensing control in Hong Kong. The transit of “more sensitive” items also requires import and export licenses. Hong Kong requires importers of all items on the Hong Kong export control list to obtain permits prior to importation.

To apply for a license online visit: https://www.stc.tid.gov.hk/english/applytips/applytips_content.html

Strategic Commodities Control System, Trade and Industry Department, HKSAR: http://www.stc.tid.gov.hk/

Customs and Excise Department, HKSAR: http://www.customs.gov.hk/

Country Commercial Guide: https://www.export.gov/hongkong

Business Registration Number Enquiry: http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/taxes/etax/services/brn_enquiry.htm

Companies Registry Electronic Search Services: https://www.icris.cr.gov.hk/csci/

© BIS 2020