How do I contact DDTC?

Contact DDTC at 202-663-2980 or go to

What types of firearms does the Department of Commerce have jurisdiction over?

The Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) has jurisdiction over shotguns with a barrel length of 18 inches or more and related components. BIS also has jurisdiction over muzzle loading rifles and handguns, air guns, replica firearms, shotgun shells and components, and most optical sighting devices for firearms.

How do I get a license from BIS?

The first step in determining whether an export license is required is knowing whether the item you are intending to export has a specific Export Control Classification Number (ECCN). The ECCN is an alpha-numeric code, e.g., 0A984, that describes a particular item or type of item, and shows the controls placed on that item.

Where do I find the list of ECCNs?

All ECCNs are listed in the Commerce Control List (CCL) which is in Supplement No. 1 to Part 774 of the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). The CCL is divided into ten broad categories. Category 0 contains ECCNs for shotguns and related items.

What is the Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) for shotguns and components?

ECCN 0A984 controls shotguns with barrels of 18 inches or longer and certain essential components: shotgun barrels 18 inches or longer but not longer than 24 inches, receivers, breech mechanisms, complete trigger mechanisms, and magazines or magazine extension tubes. Other parts of a shotgun not listed under 0A984 or in other ECCN entries are EAR99.

What about rifle stocks?

A rifle stock would be under the jurisdiction of the Department of State.

What is the ECCN for muzzle loading firearms?

Muzzle loading (black powder) firearms with a caliber less than 20 mm that were manufactured later than 1937 and are not reproductions of firearms manufactured earlier than 1890 are controlled under ECCN 0A018.c.

What is the ECCN for pellet guns?

Air guns including pellet guns, BB guns, air rifles and paintball guns are classified as EAR99.

What is the ECCN for shotgun shells and components?

Shotgun shells and components fall under ECCN 0A986. This includes primers and shot. 12 gauge shotgun blanks and 12 gauge shotgun slugs (loaded) are also under this classification. Gunpowder falls under ECCN 1C992.

What is the ECCN for buckshot shells?

Buckshot shotgun shells are classified as 0A984.

What is the ECCN for riflescopes or hunting scopes?

ECCN 0A987 controls specific sighting devices, their associated optical elements, and adjustment mechanisms. Please see the entry for a detailed description of what is controlled. Sighting devices that are not specified in this ECCN or elsewhere on the Commerce Control List, and that are not subject to the jurisdiction of the Department of State, are EAR99.

What Types of Optical Sighting Devices would be under State jurisdiction?

Those that contain night vision capabilities may be under State jurisdiction. You should first contact the State Department. Any optical sighting device mounted on a rifle is under State Department jurisdiction.

What is the ECCN for replica firearms?

Non-functioning replica firearms, whether a rifle or shotgun, are under the jurisdiction of the Department of Commerce and are classified as EAR99. Functioning replica firearms are classified in the same manner as shotguns and rifles as noted above in terms of State/Commerce jurisdiction and ECCNs, as appropriate.

What is the ECCN for stun guns?

Discharge type arms such as stun guns, shock batons, immobilization guns, and projectiles are classified under ECCN 0A985.

What is the ECCN for signal flare discharge arms?

Arms designed solely for signal, flare, or saluting use are classified as EAR99.

What does EAR99 mean?

If your item falls under U.S. Department of Commerce jurisdiction and is not listed on the CCL, it is designated as EAR99. EAR99 items generally consist of low-technology consumer goods and do not require a license in most situations. However, if your proposed export of an EAR99 item is to an embargoed country, to an end-user of concern, or in support of a prohibited end-use, you may be required to obtain a license.

Once I know the ECCN of my item, what is the next step?

Once you have determined that your item is classified under a specific ECCN, you must use the information contained in the "Reason(s) for Control" section of that ECCN in combination with the "Commerce Country Chart" (see Supplement 1 to Part 738 of the EAR) to decide whether a license is required. If there is an "X" in the box for the Reason for Control and destination country, a license is required from BIS, unless a license exception is available. If there is no "X" in the box, a license is not required unless your proposed export is to an embargoed country, to an end-user of concern, or in support of a prohibited end-use, in which case you may be required to obtain a license.

How do I submit a license application?

License applications must be submitted through SNAP-R, the on-line license application system. In order to access the SNAP-R system, you must first obtain a Company Identification Number (CIN). Obtaining a CIN is the first step toward completing your license application and must be completed in order to access the actual SNAP-R application. Instructions to complete this process can be found at the following hyperlink:


What support documents are required?

BIS requires an Import Certificate or equivalent official document for ECCNs 0A984, 0A986, or 0A987 for export to Canada, Mexico, and Central and South America per section 748.14 of the EAR. Applicants must request that their importer obtain the Import Certificate or an equivalent official document from the government of the importing country. Otherwise, a Statement by Ultimate Consignee and Purchaser (form BIS 711) is required per section 748.11 of the EAR.

 What support documents are required?

If I’m a U.S. citizen taking a shotgun to another country for recreation, do I need a license?

License Exception BAG authorizes a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident alien leaving the U.S. to export or reexport shotguns with a barrel length 18 inches or over and shotgun shells provided that not more than three shotguns may be taken on any one trip; the shotguns and shotgun shells must be with the person's baggage (may not be mailed) and they must be for the person's exclusive use for legitimate use. See section 740.14(e) of the EAR for specific requirements in the use of BAG.

Are Hunting Bows and Knives on the Commerce Control List?

Hunting bows and knives are classified as EAR99.

© BIS 2019