How and when to file semi-annual reports
The semi-annual reporting requirement for License Exception ENC can be found in 740.17(e) of the EAR.
Semi annual reporting is required for exports to all destinations other than Canada, and for reexports from Canada ONLY for items described under paragraphs 740.17(b)(2) and 740.17(b)(3)(iii).
Items other than those described in 740.17(b)(2) and 740.17(b)(3)(iii) will no longer require a report to BIS.
Certain encryption items and transactions are excluded from this reporting requirement, see paragraph 740.17(e)(1)(iii) of this section. These exclusions include:
- Encryption commodities or software with a symmetric key length not exceeding 64 bits
- Encryption items exported (or reexported from Canada) via free and anonymous download
- Encryption items from or to a U.S. bank, financial institution or its subsidiaries, affiliates, customers or contractors for banking or financial operations
- Items listed in paragraph 740.17(b)(4), unless it is a foreign item described in 740.17(b)(4)(ii) that has entered the United States
- Foreign products developed by bundling or compiling of source code
What to file:
- Commodity Classification Automated Tracking System (CCATS) number
- Name of the item(s) exported (or reexported from Canada)
- Distributors or resellers. For items exported (or reexported from Canada) to a distributor or other reseller, including subsidiaries of U.S. firms, the name and address of the distributor or reseller, the item and the quantity exported or reexported and, if collected by the exporter as part of the distribution process, the end userís name and address
- Direct sales. For items exported (or reexported from Canada) through direct sale, the name and address of the recipient, the item, and the quantity exported
- Foreign manufacturers and products that use encryption items. See 740.17(e)(1)(i)(C) for full details.
When to file:
- For exports occurring between January 1 and June 30, a report is due no later than August 1 of that year.
- For exports occurring between July 1 and December 31, a report is due no later than February 1 the following year.
- These reports must be provided in electronic form.
- Recommended file formats for electronic submission include spreadsheets, tabular text or structured text.
- Exporters may request other reporting arrangements with BIS to better reflect their business models.
- Reports may be sent electronically to BIS at firstname.lastname@example.org and to the ENC Encryption Request Coordinator at email@example.com, or disks and CDs containing the reports may be sent to the following addresses:
Department of Commerce,
Bureau of Industry and Security,
Office of National Security and Technology Transfer Controls,
14th Street and Pennsylvania Ave., NW,
Room 2705, Washington, DC 20230,
Attn: Encryption Reports,
Attn: ENC Encryption Request Coordinator
9800 Savage Road, Suite 6940
Ft. Meade, MD 20755-6000.
Reporting Key Length Increases
Reporting is required for commodities and software that, after having been classified and authorized for License Exception ENC in accordance with paragraphs (b)(2) or (b)(3) of this section, are modified only to upgrade the key length used for confidentiality or key exchange algorithms. Such items may be exported or reexported under the previously authorized provision of License Exception ENC without a classification resubmission.
What to file for reporting key length increases:
- Certification that no other encryption changes have been made.
- Original Commodity Classification Automated Tracking System (CCATS)
- New key length.
When and where to file for reporting key length increases:
| | | | | | |
- The report must be received by BIS and the ENC Encryption Request Coordinator before the export or reexport of the upgraded product; and
- The report must be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.